Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Please don't tell my mother....

I am currently in transition back to a normal sleeping pattern as I am expected back at Bike Stop Orillia at the start of next week.This being so I will skip to the work out session of the day as I'm feeling a little tired here at 12:10am.

I got a text from Jacob asking if I would meet him out at Hardwood after he was done work for a night ride,I accepted the invitation and headed out.I was a little rushed getting dressed so when it came to decided if I should light up I decided not to in interest of saving time.So head light out I went to grab the tail light off the passenger seat of my car only to find someone must had sat on it killing the battery's. Now I'm only at a single LED flasher on the front of my bike Just so on coming car either passing or turning can see me.

Hit the roads just as the sun was setting which was really beautiful,but that beauty soon turned to darkness.In the winter when I ride light less the snow kind of brightens everything up and you can see but tonight and it being spring that was not the case.I decided to take it easy to Hardwood and give cars lots of room.One dog and a cigarette bud later I arrived for my foamy beverage. Lizard was there as well so the three of us talked while we waited fo the last of the skiers to vacate.

We took the longer root back to Hawkstone and talked about the up coming season and clubs we may or may not join.Traffic wasn't bad and the ride went smooth like it should. Jacob left me at Hawkstone and I continued light less towards Orillia.I could just make out where the pavement turned to gravel and was confident that the ride would be alright.My first encounter with a car came next, since I don't have a head light they cant see me and since they can't see me they don't turn off their high beams and if they don't turn them off their light it burns my retinas and I can't look away because I have to keep an eye out in case they try something crazy and drift in my direction and after they pass I'm blind and the hole getting use to the dark starts over.Same story for all 9 cars.

Being spring I guess all the wild life are coming out to play much like the humans are.After the second crash crack bang clack sound coming from the dark forest I thought to my self what would happen if a deer was standing on the road? I cant see him, can he hear me? if I hit him would it be soft?or would we hit causing me to fall,then said deer would proceed to spear me with his horns?would he make a funny sound as he gored me?What if it was a pack of raccoons, would they send in their young to jump one by one into my spokes causing a bail of epic proportions?after they found out I was a cyclist with no body fat, would they leave me for the squirrels? These were all thought going through my mind and when I heard the third crash crack bang clack the chill ride turned time trial.

Arrived home to some pasta in the pot, Chuck and house on T.V and a small glass of wine.I'm heading to the store for some battery's for the tail light tomorrow, maybe even plug in the head light just in case.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment